Love Letters

Just Wondering can be contacted at justwondering[DOT]vandv@gmail[DOT]com. Please, unless you are a person I have lambasted or are related to a person I have lambasted and need to set me straight, no hate mail. I don't get paid enough to put up with that kind of thing. Have I ever mentioned this is a "salary-free zone?"

Monday, July 02, 2007

That Girl Gets More Jail Time Than Scooter

No doubt the champagne corks are popping, the right wing is flapping and still sqawking about Scooter Libby not having broken any laws (perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to federal investigators notwithstanding - apparently, Fitzgerald's analogy about sand being thrown in the umpire's eyes is just too complicated for some people ... or maybe lying, not baseball, is the new national pasttime), and here once again we have President Bush expressing his sympathy for Scooter as he commuted his prison term.

"I respect the jury's verdict," Bush said in typical fashion, followed by the familiar tag line that always begins with a "but," and which can be paraphrased thusly, "but they were wrong ... and so was the judge in the case ... and so was the appeals court that turned Scooter's 'free on bail' request down." Basically, everybody's always wrong except the president. I'm so sick of this schtick I could cry. There is absolutely no basis in the law for this commutation of which I am aware, but you can bet I'll do the requisite research just to be sure. I'd bet dollars to donuts right now that I won't find what used to be termed "persuasive legal authority" in favor of this action by the president. I'm betting that this is just one more abuse of power, one more log to throw on the ever-growing wood pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.