Welcome to the blahblahblaaahhg. V&V is written by Steve and me, Just Wondering! V&V has been called Cliff Notes to American Politics. We don't know if that's good or bad, but we like it.
Love Letters
Just Wondering can be contacted at justwondering[DOT]vandv@gmail[DOT]com. Please, unless you are a person I have lambasted or are related to a person I have lambasted and need to set me straight, no hate mail. I don't get paid enough to put up with that kind of thing. Have I ever mentioned this is a "salary-free zone?"
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Sitting in the Catbird Seat
(Or, "Stop the Madness")
Everyone who reads this blog knows that I think we're paying way too much attention to the campaign and not enough to what the current Administration is doing. However, I've decided it's worse than that.
This past week, we have seen both Democratic candidates embroiled in controversy. In the meantime, there's John McCain. A Google search of "News Results" for McCain this morning led me to some pretty mundane stories. On the other hand, regarding our Democratic candidates, we have this story, as well as this story, with the accompanying barrage of dueling comments. And don't forget about the countless blogs, pro-Hillary, anti-Hillary, all-Barack-all-the-time, etc., with their myriad commenters.
And where is John McCain? Well, John McCain is Erwin Martin and the Democrats are Ulgine Barrows ... which means McCain is sitting in the catbird seat. While Obama and Clinton, and their supporters, continue to beat each other to a bloody pulp, McCain just has to look good, or good enough. He, like Mr. Martin, doesn't have to be telling the truth; he just has to be "believable," and make the Democrats look like they're having some sort of breakdown ... which, I gotta tell ya, ain't gonna be too damn hard to do if things keep going like they've been going. He is the Republican party's presumptive nominee and, therefore, doesn't have an opponent performing hit jobs or even "due diligence" on him or his candidacy. Even the "darlings" of right wing talk radio have stopped attacking McCain. His armory will be full and his hold undamaged when it comes time for the general election. Both the Clinton and Obama camps continue to provide arms to him, either unintentionally or on the black market.
Not only that, but McCain will hardly be asked to debate himself (though he certainly could, given all the contradictory positions he has taken on numerous subjects!), so his chances of sticking his foot in his mouth during a nationally televised event are not nearly as high as they are for Clinton and Obama, who now have more "tour dates" than The Grateful Dead. We know their playlist by heart too.
So, the chance of implosion for either Barack or Clinton is greater, and, equally important, the danger of "saturation" is also greater. If familiarity breeds contempt, this level of scrutiny breeds contemptibility, and it's doing so as I type this post! Try to wrap your head around this concept: at this rate, come general election time, McCain WILL be the "fresh new face" on the campaign trail.
If you really want a Democrat in the White House, it's time to make John McCain answer for himself.
I'm not the first or only person to say this, and this isn't my first time saying it. What amazes me, though, is that Democrats just can't seem to stop themselves. And the beat (down) goes on ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I plead guilty - I really can't seem to help myself. Can you help me? Is there a TwelveStepProgram I can join? I know I will need rehab at some point! Just not sure where that point is!
ReplyDeleteBut, I really am listening to the "rest of the news" - but's it equally depressing and beyond my reach to change, it seems.
Thank you for YOUR diligence - you really are not alone! It just seems that way - even Dan Abrams will report on the Paul Cartney divorce tonight! Now, don't you feel better already?